As a baker, there are two absolute must-have recipes that you need to have in your repertoire, and they need to be fantastic and versatile – a vanilla cake and a chocolate cake. These will be the base for so many recipes, so it’s extremely important that you love them, and I am positive that you are going to LOVE this vanilla cake.
I use the reverse creaming method which mixes the butter with the dry ingredients first. This minimizes gluten formation, as well as the size of air particles, which results in a finer crumb.
I also use cake flour, which has the lowest percentage of protein of all the flours, lending the cake to a fluffier texture.
Finally, I use 2 tablespoons of good quality vanilla extract. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER EVER use imitation vanilla. That goes on the DO NOT BUY list, along with decaffeinated coffee, polyester and slime.
This recipe is perfect for 15 cupcakes, a 9×13 cake or three 6″ round cakes.
Vanilla CakeCourse: Dessert
Cake Flour 270g
(1 3/4 cups)
Baking Powder 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Eggs 2 large
Sour Cream 75g
(about 1/3 cup)
Vegetable Oil 90g
Vanilla 2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 9×13 pan, spray and parchment three 6″ round cake pans, or line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Measure dry ingredients into medium sized mixing bowl or into your stand mixer and mix on low speed until combined.
- Cut butter into cubes and add to dry ingredients. Mix on low until butter breaks down to pea sized chunks, about 2 minutes.
- Measure wet ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Finish mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. About 25 minutes for a cake, or 18-20 minutes for cupakes.
- Make sure your butter is cool but not cold. I like to take it out of the refrigerator about an hour before I start baking.
- I use unsalted butter for all of my recipes. If you use salted butter, omit the additional 1/2 tsp salt.