As you know by now, I adore muffins. If you have a good muffin base, it will support just about any add-in. Fruits and nuts are the most common add-ins, but you can play around with different spices, herbs, cheeses, vegetables, and even meats! These Vanilla Bean Muffins are simple, but that doesn’t mean they lack anything. I’ll eat these on their own any day.
Vanilla beans are something I LOVE to bake with. They add such amazing flavor. When I see those little specks of vanilla bean, my heart is happy. ❤ I particularly like to use vanilla beans in things like pastry creams, buttercreams, shortbread, muffins and quick breads.
I use both vanilla bean and vanilla extract to impart a deep vanilla flavor in these muffins.
The muffins are super tender and moist, and the streusel topping adds a little crunch and added sweetness.
How do I cut a vanilla bean?
To cut a vanilla bean, lay the bean on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, slice down the bean lengthwise. Use the back of the knife to open up the bean on one end and scrape all the way down the bean.
Don’t throw out the bean! Use the remaining bean to make vanilla sugar or homemade vanilla extract.
Vanilla Bean MuffinsCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
All Purpose Flour 350g
(2 1/4 cups)
Baking Powder 4 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
1 Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
Vanilla Extract 2 tsp
Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare a jumbo muffin tin either with butter or muffin liners.
- Beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then continue beating for another 3-4 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk, extract and vanilla bean.
- Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients to the butter mixture. Start with the dry, then wet, then dry, then wet, then dry. Mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin.
- Top with streusel. Bake for 6 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 350° and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 full. You should get 6 jumbo muffins.
- In a small bowl, combine 40g (1/4 cup) flour, 95g (1/4 cup) sugar, and 38g (2 3/4 Tbsp) cold butter.
- Use the back of a fork to combine all of the ingredients, pressing the butter into the flour and sugar. There will still be small chunks of butter and that’s okay.
- Using your fingers, sprinkle the streusel over the muffins.