This recipe is not my own creation by any stretch, I actually found it at Real Housemom’s. It was so quick + easy and really worked well as my “Porg Pops” at my Star Wars party. I switched to Turkey Sausage (instead of pork) since Porgs are bird-like creatures. The pretzel sticks (which I did to be kid-friendly) did not hold up well to the heat but worked okay in some of them. The bamboo toothpicks worked much better.
These are easy to prep a couple trays and heat them off in the oven in batches during the party. Then you can “refresh” the guests with warm appetizers which is always nice. These make great “Porg Pops” but also would be great for a luau/Hawaiian/Polynesia vibe party too! I have already shared this recipe with one of my clients who is planning a Graduation Luau next month.
Yummy Turkey Sausage Bites (aka Porg Pops)Course: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 lbs. kielbasa sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used turkey sausage)
14 oz can pineapple slices in juice, quartered
3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp pineapple juice from can
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place a piece of pineapple on top of a slice of kielbasa and stick a toothpick into them
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray
- Place kielbasa bites onto the prepped cookie sheet.
- Brush glaze over tops and sides of bites (I saved some glaze to add at the end)
- Place in oven and cook for 15 to 20 min (keep an eye on them so they don’t burn)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute so you don’t burn your mouth, then consume mass quantities of these!
- This recipe makes easily at least 24-36 individual bites and can be doubled for entertaining more guests. We will definitely use this recipe again for our parties!