This time of year, I like to make meals that don’t require me to turn on the stove or oven. Especially since air conditioning is practically non-existent in Luxembourg. Strawberry pecan salad is a great meatless meal that still fills you up and tastes amazing.
You can really use any type of lettuce that your family likes. I prefer to buy the bagged spring mix because it makes meal time super quick and easy. The spring mix contains baby spinach, radicchio, arugula, and other lettuces depending on the brand you buy.
There is a little bit of prep work for this salad, but it can all be done well in advance. For one, I like to make my own balsamic vinaigrette dressing. My friend Dana shared the recipe with me ages ago and everyone who tastes it loves it. You can go the easy route and use store bought dressing, but it’s so easy to make it from scratch and you’d be surprised how much better it tastes.
The other prep work is in the candied pecans. But it’s literally only 3 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes so that’s hardly work! Plus, you can make a whole bag of these and store them in a container in the fridge for weeks. They make a great snack too.
Why gorgonzola cheese? There are dozens of cheeses to choose from when making a salad, but gorgonzola tastes incredible with so many different fruits. Try pairing it with apples, pears, figs, dried cranberries. It’s my go-to cheese for summer salads that contain fruit.
When you’re ready to assemble the salad, just toss everything together in a large bowl. Then, sprinkle a few more candied pecans, strawberries and cheese on top to make it look pretty.
Strawberry Pecan SaladCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Spring Mix Bag Salad
Candied Pecans (recipe follows)
Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
Balsamic Vinaigrette, to taste
- Place the salad mix in a large serving bowl.
- Add 3/4 of the strawberries, pecans and gorgonzola cheese. Toss lightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 strawberries, pecans and cheese on top.
- Serve with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
- In a small frying pan over medium-low heat, melt 3 Tbsp butter and 4 Tbsp brown sugar.
- Add 1 cup halved pecans and stir to coat.
- Let the mixture bubble up, crystalizing the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight bag or container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.