Can you guess what the secret ingredient is in these cookies? OK, it’s pudding. Many moons ago when I worked a corporate job, a girl brought in some chocolate chip cookies that were so soft and pillowy. I HAD to know what the secret was. She told me it was a box of pudding mix added to the dough! ? The only problem was that it left an aftertaste in my mouth. Kind of like when you add too much baking soda. So I did what I always do. I set out to find a way to make them even better.
To start, I cut back on the amount of pudding. I also cut back on the sugar slightly and added salt. If you’re new to baking, please don’t leave out the salt! It might seem counter intuitive, but salt actually enhances the flavor in baked goods. The key is to add just enough that no one even knows it’s there. Although, there are some cookies that taste incredible with a higher salt content. But that’s for another post.
I also swapped out M&Ms for the chocolate chips. There are a hundred different ways to make chocolate chip cookies, so I wanted to differentiate these from my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. I love to use the specialty M&Ms around the different holidays to make them festive. Have fun with it!
These M&M pudding cookies are great because the recipe makes exactly 12 cookies. Let’s face it, sometimes you just don’t want 36 cookies lying around. Unless you have a very strong will power. Or you look like Jennifer Aniston. In which case, go ahead and double it!
To get your cookies to look like this picture, add one small package of M&Ms to the cookie dough. Use a medium sized cookie scoop, and then add a few more M&Ms by hand to each cookie after you’ve scooped them onto the cookie sheet.
Small Batch M&M Pudding CookiesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Brown Sugar 60g
Vanilla 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour 160g
Vanilla Pudding Mix 20g
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
2 small packages of M&Ms (like what you get at the check out lane)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line an aluminum baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix again for 20 seconds.
- Add pudding, flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.
- Add one small bag of M&Ms and mix with spatula.
- Scoop cookies onto baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches space between each cookie.
- Use M&Ms from the second bag and place a few on the outside of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, just until the edges start to brown.