Sharing this family favorite with you today that is my version of my Grandma’s famous Sky High Coconut Cream Pie. I have made her too-many-steps-long recipe into fewer steps and it is still just as tasty as the original! I use an all-butter pie crust which comes together quickly. I also use only one bowl to make my filling and I use a Swiss meringue (our Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting) which is nearly impossible to screw up. Everything is heated together so no thermometer is needed.
The filling for this pie is made just like a pastry cream. The key is to whisk constantly so it doesn’t get scorched. I like to make it the day before and refrigerate it, then give it a good stir right before pouring into the cooled pie crust. If you pour it in while the custard is still hot, you risk getting a soggy bottomed pie crust.
For the picture above, I just used a spatula to scoop all of the meringue on top of the custard. Then I used the back of a spoon to swirl it around and “pull” it up to form little peaks. Then I used a small kitchen torch to toast the top of the meringue.
Sky High Coconut Cream PieCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add the milk and yolks and continue to whisk.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to boil.
- Continue cooking for another 3-6 minutes until the cream thickens to a pudding-like consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add the butter and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the coconut. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the top of the coconut cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the all butter pie crust and cool completely.
- Spread the coconut cream inside the pie crust so that it is evenly distributed. If you refrigerated the cream overnight, stir it well to bring it back to a smooth consistency before adding to the pie crust.
- Prepare the marshmallow meringue and spoon it over the coconut cream. Use a kitchen torch to toast the meringue. If you don’t have a torch, you can place it under the broiler for just one minute to toast it. Don’t leave it in too long or the cream will get hot and runny.