Butter, brown sugar and butterscotch…OH MY! Yes, these cookies have the three B’s, and if you can stop yourself from eating half of the cookie dough, kudos to you.
Let me start by saying, this is not a recipe I created. The original author was Cookies & Cups, but I loved it so much that I made them over and over. The only difference is that I melt the butter in the microwave instead of making browned butter. Mostly because I’m too impatient. But I also don’t think the browned butter makes a huge difference in this recipe because there are so many other flavors.
I love how soft and silky this cookie dough is. The melted butter just makes it so smooth that it melts in your mouth. Plus, you know how much I love sweet and salty, and the sea salt flakes are just so good in these cookies! I like to add a few more flakes to the top of the dough after I’ve scooped them onto a cookie sheet.
I can’t find butterscotch chips here in Luxembourg, so I used salted caramel bits. They definitely aren’t the same. The butterscotch chips give these cookies the most unbelievably intense smell that makes your taste buds go wild. I can’t resist eating loads of the dough while baking some to actually turn into cookies.
Since I didn’t create this recipe, all of the measurements are in cups. Therefore, it’s very important that you measure each ingredient properly. Fluff up the flour with a fork before scooping it into your measuring cup. Lightly shake the cup to level it off. Don’t use a knife to scrape the cup level, as this packs down the flour and will give you an improper measurement.
The light brown sugar should be lightly packed into the measuring cup.
For the pretzels, place a handful of pretzels into a plastic bag. I use mini hard pretzels, but you could use pretzel sticks as well. Use a rolling pin to smash the pretzels into smaller bits, but don’t pulverize. Add to measuring cup and continue until you have 1 cup.
I prefer Maldon sea salt flakes. You can use either regular sized or mini chocolate chips, depending on your preference.
Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel CookiesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Unsalted butter 1 cup
Light brown sugar 1 1/2 cups
Vanilla 2 tsp
All Purpose Flour 2 1/2 cups
Baking Soda 1 tsp
Sea Salt Flakes 1 tsp
Butterscotch Chips 3/4 cup
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 3/4 cup
Coarsely Chopped Pretzels 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cooled butter and brown sugar. Mix on medium-low speed until butter is cool enough that it won’t scramble the eggs.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Add chips and pretzels and mix by hand just until combined.
- Use a medium sized scoop to scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle more sea salt flakes on top if preferred.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edge of the cookies just start to brown.