This cake is something I’ve wanted to make for a really long time. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long, but I’m so glad I finally got around to it! This is a combination of two of my very favorite cakes. And I think this Pineapple Upside-Down Rum Cake will also be on your favorites list.
The cake is made in a bundt pan. I use this 12-cup Nordic Ware bundt pan. Always spray your bundt pans liberally with a good baking spray first. Or use my homemade pan release which works so great, I never have cake stuck to my pans!
How to Make Pineapple Upside-Down Rum Cake
After preparing your bundt pan, pour the melted butter in the pan and swirl it around so that it’s more or less even among the cavities. Then sprinkle the light brown sugar over the melted butter. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
Cut the pineapple rings in half, saving the juice for the glaze later. Place 8 halves round side down into the narrow cavities. In between those, place the other 8 halves flat, being sure to face them all in the same direction. You can use the featured image here as a reference.
Admittedly, it looks really pretty if you put a maraschino cherry in the round part of the pineapple rings. But since they don’t have those here in Luxembourg, it wasn’t an option. They taste gross anyway, so no love loss here. 😂
Next you’re going to prepare the cake batter and pour it over the pineapples. Spread the top out evenly with your spatula and then bake for 50-60 minutes until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
During the last 10 minutes of baking, prepare the glaze. This is just like the glaze I use for my rum cake, only instead of using water I use pineapple juice. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour half of the glaze over the entire surface of the cake. Let it set for about 10 minutes to allow the glaze to soak into the cake. Then, carefully turn the cake over onto a large plate or a cake stand.
I love this cake warm, so I tend to slice it right away. Place a slice on a small plate and pour some of the extra glaze over the cake. It’s so freaking good!!!
Save any of the extra glaze and cover and refrigerate it. Microwave it before using again.
Pineapple Upside-Down Rum CakeCourse: BakingDifficulty: Easy
8 Pineapple Rings
Unsalted Butter, melted 57g
Light Brown Sugar 150g
4 Large Eggs
Canola Oil 165g
Cake Flour 325g
Instant Vanilla Pudding 1 package
Baking Powder 4 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Tortuga Rum 110g
Whole Milk 123g
Vanilla 1 tsp
Rum Glaze (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray bundt pan with baking spray.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of the pan and swirl until it’s mostly even.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter, again trying to make it as even as possible.
- Drain the pineapples and reserve the juice for the glaze later. Cut the pineapple rings in half. Place 8 halves round side down into the narrow cavities of the bundt pan. In between those, place the other 8 halves flat, being sure to face them all in the same direction. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add sugar and softened butter and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat again until completely combined.
- Add canola oil and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, rum and vanilla.
- Alternately add the dry and wet ingredients, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients (dry, wet, dry, wet, dry). Mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prepare the glaze (recipe follows) and pour over cake.
- Once the glaze has soaked in (about 10 minutes), invert cake pan onto cake stand to remove the cake.
- If you can’t find Tortuga Rum, you can use any good spiced rum.
Tortuga rum glaze Directions
- In a small saucepan, pour the pineapple juice (about 3/4 cup) and boil for about 5 minutes to allow the juice to reduce down a little.
- To the saucepan, add 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar. Continue cooking until sugar has dissolved completely.
- Turn off heat, add 1/2 cup rum and stir.