My love for breakfast rolls runs deep. I make them several times a year, and each time is a celebration. These Melt In Your Mouth Pecan Sticky Buns are my absolute favorite. Soft yeast rolls with a sweet cinnamon filling and a caramel pecan topping. I’m typing this as I wait for them to get out of the oven and I can hardly wait!
I only like eating cinnamon rolls when they’re warm and melty, but pecan sticky buns are good hot or warm or room temperature. Basically, I will eat them anyway and anywhere. I will eat them in a boat, and I will eat them with a goat, and I will eat them in the rain, and in the dark and on the train.
To make the dough, put the yeast, salt and warm milk (no hotter than 105°F) in a bowl and sprinkle the sugar on top. Let it set for about 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Start mixing on low speed with the dough hook. Add half of the flour and both of the eggs and continue mixing. Slowly pour in the melted butter (again, make sure it’s not too hot). Then add the rest of the flour and mix on medium speed for 8 minutes.
Put the dough in a buttered bowl and cover. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the pecan caramel topping. Rough chop the pecans and set aside. Place the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and cream in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not let the mixture come to a boil. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top of the caramel.
Once the dough has risen, roll it into a rectangle. Pour the cinnamon filling on top and spread it out evenly. Roll it up starting at one of the long ends. Tuck the seem under so that it is on the counter. Use unflavored dental floss or fishing wire to cut into 12 rolls. Place them in four rows of three, on top of the pecan caramel sauce.
Alternatively, you could bake these in jumbo muffin tins. Pour the pecan caramel mixture in the muffin tins, then place the rolls on top. When I do this, I like to lightly butter the insides and top of the muffin tin so the rolls don’t stick to the pan.
Cover and let the rolls rise for another 20-30 minutes.
Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown.
Immediately flip the pan over onto a large serving dish so that the pecan caramel sauce is now on top.
If you have any will power at all, allow the rolls to cool.
Melt In Your Mouth Pecan Sticky BunsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Warm Milk 240g
Dry Active Yeast .25 oz
Salt 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour 480g
(3 3/4 cups)
Butter, melted 57g
- In a mixing bowl, add the yeast, sugar, milk and salt and give a little stir. Sprinkle the sugar over the mixture and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- Using the dough hook, add the eggs and half of the flour and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the melted butter and the rest of the flour and continue mixing on medium low speed for 8 minutes.
- Place the dough into a buttered or oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture (recipe below) over the dough and roll it up lengthwise. Tuck the seem under.
- Use fishing wire or unscented dental floss to the cut the dough into 12 rolls.
- Place into baking dish over the caramel pecan topping (recipe below).
cinnamon sugar mixture
- In a bowl, combine 4 Tbsp softened butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon.
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the paste over the dough.
Caramel Pecan Topping Directions
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 1 Tbsp light corn syrup and 2 Tbsp heavy cream over medium heat. Mix for about 5 minutes, just until the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.
- Pour into 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped pecans over the caramel.
- Place the rolls on top of the pecan caramel sauce.