We make a batch of chocolate chip cookies almost every week in my house and I wanted to change things up a little this week so I decided to go BIG! So I made a GIANT chocolate chip cookie. It is 12″ round cookie!
I use ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (in the gold package) and follow the recipe on the bag (as it is the right consistency for both giant cookies and cookie cups), then I make some changes to baking times and the pans used to bake them. For the big cookie, you need a 12″ pan (like in the photo). I cut a round piece of parchment for the bottom and sprayed the edges with non-stick baking spray. I used about 2/3 of the batter for this large cookie and rest I used in mini-muffin pans (sprayed with non-stick baking spray) which made about 16-18 cookie cups (which I will post in a follow-up post).
How to Make a GIANT Chocolate Chip CookieCourse: Baking, Desserts
(2 1/4 cup) AP flour
(1 tsp) Baking Soda
(1/2 tsp) Salt
(2) Sticks of butter (1 cup)
(3/4 cup) granulated sugar
(3/4 cup) brown sugar
(2 tsp) vanilla extract
- You need a 12″ pan like this Wilton pan. You will also need a 24 mini muffin/cupcake pan (if you do non-stick pans, you have to reduce the baking times).
- Preheat Oven for 375 degrees F
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl or Kitchenaid, cream together softened butter and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix on low until combined. Add vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in, about 1/3 at a time until all combined.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Add about 2/3 of the dough to cookie pan, leaving about 1/2″ of space around the edges. The remaining dough can be scooped with a small scoop into the muffin pan (but I will share the rest of the instructions for those in another post).
- Bake the cookie for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack for at least an hour (or you can just keep it in the pan to make it easier to serve and store–but be careful when cutting the cookie so you do not scratch your pan.)
I moved mine out of the pan and cut into 12 pieces.
- I used some buttercream on half of this and left half plain. I made a 1/2 batch of Amanda’s Vanilla Buttercream but added 1/2 tsp of almond extract to the mix. (Basically it was 1 stick of butter, 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar, 2-3 TBSP half and half or milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp almond extract.) I only used about 1/2 of the buttercream on this giant cookie, the rest on the cookie cups.