I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a good pound cake. Traditionally it was made with a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, a pound of sugar and a pound of flour. And while that sound delicious, it probably isn’t great for the heart….or the thighs. Nowadays you can find all sorts of recipes on the internet with different ratios, but the commonality is that they are rich and dense and extremely tasty. This Honey Almond Pound Cake delivers in all of those areas.
The sour cream and evaporated milk give this cake extra moistness. They honey adds flavor and lends to a darker, crispier crust.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this pound cake.
- Unsalted Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Sour Cream
- Evaporated Milk
- Almond Extract
How to make honey almond pound cake
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar for 5-7 minutes until smooth and creamy. Start adding the eggs, one at a time. After each egg, beat for another minute. Then scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat for another 30 seconds. At the end of the last egg you should have a very smooth batter.
Add the vanilla, almond extract, sour cream and honey and beat again for another minute. The batter will look curdled now and that’s ok. It will get smooth again.
Alternate the flour, salt and baking powder with the evaporated milk. Start with the dry and end with the dry (dry, wet, dry, wet, dry).
After the last addition of the dry ingredients, mix until just about combined. Finish mixing with a spatula, being careful not to overmix.
Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Cool for about 10-15 minutes and then remove from the pans and allow to cool completely.
Honey Almond Pound CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Rich and dense cake with a sweet, crunchy exterior.
Unsalted Butter 400g
(1 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp)
5 Large Eggs
Sour Cream 135g
Vanilla 1 tsp
Almond Extract 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour 440g
Baking Powder 3 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Evaporated Milk 180g
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Prepare two loaf pans with baking spray or homemade pan release.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar for 5-7 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. After the addition of each egg, beat for one minute, then scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla, almond, sour cream and honey and beat for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- In a measuring cup, weigh out the evaporated milk.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- Add 1/2 of the evaporated milk and mix just until combined.
- Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Add the remaining evaporated milk and mix just until combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix almost until combined. Finish mixing by hand. Do not overmix.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake test inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the pans and finish cooling on a cooling rack.