The original pound cake was made using equal parts butter, sugar, flour and eggs (a pound of each). While I’m sure this would be absolutely delicious, my thighs aren’t in need of a 4 pound cake. This Funfetti Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Vanilla Glaze is dense and buttery, with just the right amount of sweetness.
I reduced the amount of sugar that you would find in most pound cakes because I like mine a little less sweet. Plus, the sprinkles and glaze give it a little more sweetness. ? Like the original pound cake, I’ve omitted any leaveners so that it remains dense. However, because of the omission of leaveners, it is necessary to whip the butter, cream cheese and sugar for a long time to beat air into it.
This recipe makes two loaves. I like using these 1 pound loaf pans by Chicago Metallic. If you use these pans, they will bake at 325° for exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Let the cakes cool completely before adding the glaze. If they are still warm, the glaze will slide right off. I take the cakes out of the pan while they are still warm and set them on a cooling rack. If they cool completely in the pan, it’s a little harder to remove them.
Funfetti Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Vanilla GlazeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
(1 1/2 cups)
Cream Cheese 8 oz
(1 3/4 cups)
Vanilla 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour 375g
Salt 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 325°. Butter or spray two 1 pound loaf pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter and cream cheese together for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat on high speed for 10 minutes, stopping halfway through to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix on medium high speed.
- Add vanilla and beat for another 20 seconds.
- Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Add sprinkles and mix until just combined.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely and then pour vanilla glaze over the top (recipe follows).
- You could add 1 tsp of almond extract to make an almond pound cake.
- The butter and cream cheese should be soft before beginning. Take both out of the refrigerator 45 min to an hour before making this recipe.
Vanilla glaze Directions
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Pour over cakes.