What is a Dirty Hippie Bar? I came up with these when I had my shop and my customers couldn’t get enough of my eggless cookie dough (or sweet sweet crack dough as Kristen calls it). ? I decided to put it on my ultimate fudge brownies and then top that with chocolate cream cheese buttercream.
One of my closest friends is a girl I met in culinary school. Candice is fun and crazy and unlike anyone else I’ve ever met. She lives fearlessly and follows her dreams unapologetically. She has a successful baking business, she teaches yoga and she’s a licensed massage therapist. I mean, this girl has an urge to try something and she goes all in! She’s also an amazing mother to two adorable little girls. Candice admittedly sleeps in her clothes quite regularly. She also takes glitter baths. I lovingly call her a dirty hippie, so I decided to name this bar after her. ❤
This is my favorite pan for making brownies. It gives you a nice straight edge. Spray and then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
After making the brownies, cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Then, make the eggless cookie dough and use right away. Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Turn over onto a cutting board and press the bottom of the pan to release the sheet of brownies. Peel off the parchment paper and then flip the whole sheet of brownies top-up. Spread the cookie dough over the whole sheet and use your hands to shape the edge so the cookie dough is even with the edge of the brownies.
Use a large, hot, sharp knife to cut the brownies into 12 even squares. They will be very large brownies. Feel free to cut even smaller. I like to clean my knife off with hot water and then wipe dry after each cut. This makes the cleanest cuts.
Make a batch of chocolate cream cheese buttercream. Pipe the buttercream down the middle of each brownie square.
I like to finish them with a few sprinkles to add a bit of color. ?
Dirty Hippie BarsCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Calories listed are for 12 servings. That makes really large squares. These can easily be cut into 24 squares.
Unsalted Butter, melted 339g
Dark Chocolate, chopped 6 oz.
Light Brown Sugar 95g
6 Large Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk
Vegetable Oil 80g
Vanilla 2 tsp
All Purpose Flour 155g
Cocoa Powder 100g
Espresso Powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
1 recipe eggless cookie dough
1 recipe chocolate cream cheese buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 aluminum pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a heat proof bowl, microwave butter and chocolate until melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, eggs,, vanilla and oil. Beat on high speed until thick and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Temper butter/chocolate mixture into egg mixture by pouring in a slow and steady stream while constantly mixing.
- Add flour, espresso powder, cocoa powder and salt. Mix by hand until fully combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the side of the pan and the inside is still soft but set.
- Cool completely. Top with eggless cookie dough (recipe follows) and chocolate cream cheese buttercream (recipe follows).
- Since chocolate is the most pronounced flavor here, use a good quality chocolate and cocoa powder.
eggless cookie dough Ingredients
Unsalted butter, softened 1 cup
Sugar 1 cup
Light Brown Sugar 1 cup
Vanilla 2 tsp
All Purpose Flour 2 1/4 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Half and Half, as needed
Mini Chocolate Chips 1 1/2 cups
eggless cookie dough Directions
- Bake the flour on a baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter, sugars and vanilla on medium high speed until creamy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add flour and salt and beat on medium high for another 4-5 minutes.
- Feel the dough and add half and half in 1 tablespoon increments until dough reaches the desired consistency. When I’m adding it to cupcakes or brownies/bars, I like to use a little more half and half to keep it soft and spreadable. Closer to 7-8 Tbsp.
- Add chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
chocolate cream cheese buttercream Ingredients
Unsalted Butter 226
Cream Cheese 8 oz
Dark Cocoa Powder 100g
Powdered Sugar 520g
Salt 1/2 tsp
chocolate cream cheese buttercream Directions
- Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of stand mixer. Mix on high speed until smooth and creamy and pale yellow, 3-4 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder. Turn mixer on lowest setting and mix until fully combined.
- Add half the powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and salt. Mix on low until combined. Turn mixer on high and beat for 4-5 minutes until smooth.