Y’all know I love muffins. I’m always trying to think of new flavors because my kids only ask for chocolate chip and blueberry. This week I decided to turn my ever popular crumb cake into muffins. They were so good! And now crumb cake muffins are on my kids’ request list. 😋
I usually like to make jumbo muffins, but these really work best as regular sized muffins. And you can see in the pictures that even with a fairly small amount of batter, they will rise significantly. You could even go with less batter and stretch it to 18 muffins.
Crumb Cake MuffinsCourse: Breakfast, DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Moist and tender crumb muffins with a sweet and crunchy brown sugar topping.
Unsalted Butter, softened 113g
1 Large Egg
Vanilla 1 tsp
Sour Cream 82g
All Purpose Flour 285g
(2 1/4 cups)
Baking Powder 1 Tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Crumb Topping (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin tins with liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well, another 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl halfway through.
- Add sour cream and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- Warm milk in the microwave for 20 seconds. Set aside.
- Measure dry ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Alternately add dry and wet ingredients to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Use a medium sized scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin tins. You should get exactly 12 muffins.
- Add crumb topping (recipe below) and bake for 18 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
crumb cake muffin topping Directions
- Melt 113g (1/2 cup) butter. Add 50g sugar (1/4 cup), 100g brown sugar (1/2 cup), 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt and 130g flour (1 cup) and stir until everything is combined.
- Use fingers to crumble over the tops of the muffins.