A chocolate chip blondie isn’t just a chocolate chip cookie turned into bar form. It should be more dense and chewier than a cookie. Think of it as the brownie’s little sister.
For my chewy chocolate chip blondies, I prefer to use dark brown sugar since this is where most of the flavor will come from. I also like to use a good quality chocolate. If you can find Valhrona or Callebaut baking chocolate chips, buy them! Trust me, they are worth the extra money. But, any chocolate chips you have will work just fine.
This recipe starts with melted butter and brown sugar. Mmm, you already know it’s going to be good! Next, you add eggs, vanilla, flour baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. My guess is that most of you have ALL of these ingredients in your pantry. Which makes these great for when the kids ask for an afternoon treat.
Speaking of kids, these are super simple to make, and the kids can do most of the mixing on their own! You can even make these without any electric mixers. Be sure that the melted butter has cooled some before adding the eggs. Otherwise, you’ll end up with scrambled eggs. Also, without a mixer you’ll need to give a good vigorous mix after the dry ingredients have been added. Before pouring into the prepared pan, look to see that there is no butter pooling on top of the mixer. If there is, give it another 10-20 strokes.
My other tip is avoid overbaking. With my oven, blondies come out perfectly at exactly 26 minutes bake time. However, everyone’s oven is different. Start checking around 24 minutes and remove from the oven when the edges are turning brown and pulling away from the pan, and the middle is set.
If you are looking for different blondie recipes, try out our Nutella Swirl Blondies!
Let me know if you have any questions. Happy Baking!
Chewy Chocolate Chip BlondiesCourse: BakingDifficulty: Easy
Unsalted butter, melted 170g
Dark Brown Sugar 260g
(1 1/2 cups)
Large Eggs 2
Vanilla 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour 200g
(1 1/2 cups)
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Chocolate Chips 100g
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- Mix melted butter and brown sugar until butter has cooled.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. If you’re mixing by hand, whisk the eggs before adding to the mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until well combined. If you’re mixing by hand, make sure the butter is completely blended and there is no pooling on the surface. This will take 40-50 strokes by hand.
- Add chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 26 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown and the middle is set.