When you want a cookie that is rich in flavors, but doesn’t contain any chocolate, these Butter Pecan Cookies are the way to go. They are one of my personal favorites. To be honest, it’s my favorite cookie DOUGH ever! I will eat it until I get a tummy ache.
To make butter pecan cookies, you first have to make the buttered pecans, which is super easy. Rough chop a cup and a half of pecan halves and put them in a small sauté pan. Add about a tablespoon of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Heat on medium-low, stirring regularly until they become fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Prepare the cookie dough by beating the melted butter and brown sugar for 3-4 minutes until the butter has a chance to cool down. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until the mixture is cohesive. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together. Add the pecans and mix on low for 5 seconds. If necessary, finish mixing by hand.
Let the dough set on the counter for 10 minutes (or more) while you preheat the oven.
When the oven is ready, use a medium sized scoop to scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies start to brown.
These cookies need a decent amount of salt to enhance the nuttiness and all of the butter. If you prefer, you can add some more sea salt to the tops of the cookies.
Butter Pecan CookiesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Pecan Halves 190g
(1 1/2 cups)
Unsalted Butter 14g
Salt 1/4 tsp
Unsalted Butter 226g
Brown Sugar 230g
(1 1/2 cups)
2 Large Eggs
Vanilla 2 tsp
All Purpose Flour 370g
(2 1/2 cups)
Baking Soda 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
- In a small sauté pan, combine the first 3 ingredients over medium-low heat. Stir and heat until the nuts are toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together melted butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until the butter has had a chance to cool down.
- Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add toasted pecans and mix just until combined. Let the dough set while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the oven is completely preheated, use a medium sized scoop to scoop out the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Be sure to leave 2″ between each cookie as they will spread.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies just start to turn golden brown.