It’s my daughter’s birthday week, so I created this recipe for her. She is a HUGE fan of my banana bread. Anytime I make it, she eats it for breakfast, snack and dessert. I don’t often add chocolate chips to it, but since it’s her birthday week, let’s go nuts! ? To top it off, I’ve added a Nutella glaze for an even sweeter finish.
Any time you are making banana bread, it’s important to start with VERY ripe bananas. I’m talking brown-all-over, slide-out-of-the-peel ripe. It’s also important to get the right amount of bananas. Too little and it can turn out dry. Too much and it can be dense and wet. I highly recommend weighing out the bananas so you get the precise amount for this recipe.
Since I’m adding the Nutella glaze on top of this bread, I’m sticking with mini chocolate chips so as not to overpower the banana flavor. Also, larger chocolate chips tend to sink to the bottom.
The Nutella glaze is basically a ganache made by heating heavy cream just to a simmer, pouring it over chopped chocolate and Nutella. I mean….
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread with Nutella GlazeCourse: Dessert, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
Butter, melted 113g
Brown Sugar 120g
2 Large Eggs
Vanilla 2 tsp
Ripe Bananas 500g
(about 4 large bananas)
All Purpose Flour 315g
Salt 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda 1 tsp
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Mini Chocolate Chips 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or spray a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- In a large bowl, add melted butter and brown sugar. Mix on low to medium speed until the butter has cooled slightly.
- Add eggs and vanilla and continue mixing on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the bananas and mix on medium high speed until bananas are broken down and mixture is homogeneous.
- Warm the buttermilk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add to egg mixture and beat on low for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low just until combined.
- Add mini chocolate chips and fold in by hand.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Turn out onto a plate or cake stand. Pour Nutella glaze (recipe follows) over the top.
- This makes a lot of batter, so don’t put it in any smaller loaf pan than a 9×5 or you’ll have a mess on your hands!
- Scoop 3/4 cup Nutella into a small bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add 1/2 cup heavy cream. Microwave for 1 minute. Cream should be hot but not boiling.
- Pour cream over Nutella and let it set for a minute. Stir with a small whisk until the mixture makes a ganache. Immediately pour over banana chocolate chip bread and let set until glaze has cooled.